The Careers component of the MMCi program has been created to actively build talent to meet the needs of the “Business of Healthcare.” Our programs offer students the opportunity to actively collaborate and innovate with peers, leading industry professionals, and potential employers during seminars, practicum projects and other informatics events.
Since its inception, MMCi has had a unique comprehensive Career Development program, designed to help professionals find employment and manage their careers for a lifetime.
MMCi’s proprietary Career Development program, created expressly for the program by its Executive Coach and Career Expert Ellen Jane Baker, is as relevant for the recent graduate as it is for professionals who are looking to advance in their organizations, to move laterally, or to change organizations and functions.
Research shows that hiring managers place communication and teamwork skills at the top of their priority list. Teamwork is an integral of the MMCi program, and the curriculum focuses heavily on communication and interpersonal skills.
- Classroom instruction
- Individual executive coaching sessions
- Walk up hours during lunchtime on class weekends
- Specialized courses for international students and MD’s
- Videotaped interview practice and presentation practice
- Company visits and invited expert speakers
- Personal Assessment and Definition of Career Goals
- Creation of a Marketing Strategy
- Instruction and Practice in Networking Techniques and Use Throughout the Year
- Learning and Practice of Informational and Job Interviews Leveraging the Vast Duke Network
- Negotiation and Evaluation of Offers
- Leveraging Experiential Learning Opportunities
Classes are conducted Thursday evenings and selectively on Saturdays during lunch.
Executive coaching sessions are available throughout the year via Skype video and phone and in person. Innovative videotape techniques are used to enhance presentation skills, and there is specific instruction on business writing skills.
MMCi Career Services Director
Ellen Jane Baker, MA, has been an executive coach and career development professional for 20 years. She has broad global corporate and university management experience, and is recognized for excellent interpersonal skills, ability to persuade, passion for excellence, creating synergies and converting vision into quantifiable results. She has created and taught the career management curriculum to MMCi students since its inception and has taught and coached executives at the Fuqua School of Business at Duke for 15 years. She has specific experience healthcare sector and has worked with many professionals at the DUMC and other major medical centers. www.linkedin.com/in/ellenjanebaker